There is a great variety of apples on the North Fork of Long Island and one of our favorite apple orchards is Woodside Orchards with locations in Aquebogue and Jamesport. Not only do they offer any number of apples from Fuji to Irareds but they also produce a delicious hard cider which they sell at their Jamesport stand as well as traditional cider at both loactions. On Veteran’s Day Sunday at 11 a.m. you can join us for a free cooking demo of apple pancakes using delicious Idared apples from Woodside and savor a free sample. Mimosas, Bloody Marys and hot cider for sale as well.
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
coconut oil, for frying
1. Mix the eggs with the buttermilk in a large bowl
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together
3. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in the apples and vanilla
4. Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over low to medium heat. Drop large spoonful of batter in pan and even out (otherwise, you might have trouble getting them to cook in the center) and cook until golden brown underneath. Flip the pancakes and cook them for an additional two or three minutes.
5. Plate immediately, or keep on a tray in a warmed oven until you are ready to serve them.
6. Serve with choice of garnishes of apple compote, honey butter or maple syrup.