Makes 20 to 30 small Meringues
8 egg whites
2 pinches salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 and 1/3 cup sugar
1 and 1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Food coloring of choice for three separate colors of Meringues
1. Whip the egg whites and salt into peaks.
2. Add the vanilla, and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the cream of tartar into the regular sugar and whisk into the whites very gradually, a spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Sift together the icing sugar and cornstarch. Sift over the meringue and gently fold until fully incorporated.
5. For three separate colors, divide into three separate bowls and add one drop of food coloring to each bowl and fold.
6. Spoon the meringues onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Each meringue should be about the size of a small cookie.
7. Bake at 225ºF/110ºC until slightly cream-coloured and crisp on top when tapped, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
8. Remove from the oven. Cool on the trays. Store in an air-tight container.