People who cook on a regular basis may be perplexed by the herds of desperate shoppers swarming supermarkets as they scramble for supplies that many of us may have in the pantry, cold storage or freezer at all times. You still may need a store run for the the requisite eggs, bread and milk but with this list, you will have everything you need to make a gourmet meal anytime — in any pinch or in a blizzard.
1) Assorted dried or canned beans
2) Canned tomatoes (your own) or organic tomato paste in can or tube
3) Assorted seasonings including Tamari, Miso, vinegars, mustards and dried herbs (including powdered onion, celery and garlic in case you really are snowed in).
4) Assorted ground or cut grains such as oats, rice flour, tapioca, whole wheat flour and Maseca (ground corn flour for tortillas, arepas and more).
5) Assorted dried vegetables including mushrooms (Porcini, Shiitake), sun-dried tomatoes, assorted dried chilies
6) Frozen meat of choice such as chicken parts, ground turkey or beef
7) Frozen chopped spinach, broccoli, potatoes, peas and carrots
8) Assorted dried pastas and whole grains (whole wheat spaghetti or linguine, egg noodles, soba noodles) and rice (brown rice, wild rice, basmati), or quinoa and barley.
9) Grated cheese
10) Olive oil
These items can produce at least 50 different meals from Minestrone and chicken soups to shepherd’s pie, goulash, spaghetti and meatballs, chili, tacos, risotto, stir fries, and more. Stay tuned for recipes.